Historical TimeLine on Clifton Springs, NY
1300 - 1799 Seneca Indians lived in this area as part of the Iroquois Nation
1802 - The John Shekell family are first setters here
1807 - First church built. - Episcopal ( ST. JOHNíS EPISCOPAL CHURCH )
1807 - First hotel built here by William Powell of Geneva, NY
1821 - Henry Foster born in Norwich, VT - Jan 18th (OVERVIEW)
1825 - First bathhouse built at Sulphur Springs (now Clifton Springs)
1825 - Erie canal completed - opening up this area
1835 - Foster family moves near Rochester, NY
1837 - (Jun 8) Mary Edwards born Hunter NY (Dr. H. Foster' wife)
1840 - First trains arrive at Clifton Springs
1848 - (Feb) Dr. Henry Foster graduates from Western Reserve Univ.
1849 - Henry Foster visits here & purchases 10 acres of land
1849 - (July 24) Clifton Springs Post Office established
1850 - Henry Foster erects his "Water Cure"
1854 - (April 5) Water Cure officially established by legislature
1854 - Foster Cottage built
1856 - Fosters second set of buildings begun
1856 - Staff of five physicians, two are women
1859 - (Apr 8) Clifton Springs Incorporated as a Village
1864 - First full time Chaplain appointed
1865 - William Foster erects the Foster Block
1868 - legislature names Dr. Henry Foster exclusive owner of Water Cure
1867 - Henry Foster begins to spend winters in Florida (Lake Charm, Oviedo, FL)
1872 - Henry Foster marries Mary Edwards
1871 - (May 10) Company name changed to Clifton Springs Sanitarium Co.
1875 - Matthew Gault named first Medical Director of institution
1876 - Foster school for young women opened
1880 - Andrew Peirce builds pavilion over main springs
1881 - Foster Farm ownership passed from W. Foster to Henry Foster
1883 - Foster hose (fire) co. established
1885 - Sarah Douglas, First Woman Postmaster of the Village of Clifton Springs
1885 - Foster school for young women closes
1888 - Records Medical started
1891 - Fosters execute the Deed of Trust for the institution
1891 - Tabernacle built for International Missionary Soc.
1892 - Foster begins construction of 3'į set of buildings
1892 - Foster begins his Nurses Training School
1894 - Nursing School (1894 -1934)
1895 - Clinical laboratory started‑urinalysis & blood counts taken
1896 - (July 10) Third set of buildings completed and dedicated
1897 - Foster establishes rotating Medical Directors
1897 - First X-Ray apparatus installed
1898 - Surgical Department organized
1900 - (Sep 13) Hospital's Semi‑Centennial Celebrated
1901 - (Jan 15) - Dr. Henry Foster dies (would have been 80 on the 18's)
1901 - Tiffany Mosaic - memorial gift to the Dr. H. Foster
1906 - Technician appointed (first a Mr. Maloney)
1908 - Clinical laboratory reorganized, standard history & physical forms adopted - Medical records department begun
1914 - Firm name changed to The Clifton Springs Sanitarium & Clinic
1914 - Medical Record Library organized by Grace Whiting Myers
1914 - Occupational Therapy begun mr. Barton opened Consolation House in Clifton Springs.
1916 - Electrocardiographic apparatus installed
1916 - (July 13) Mary Edwards Foster dies at 79
1917 - March 1917 , founded the National Society for Promotion of Occupational Therapy which, in 1921 became the American Occupational Therapy Association.
1917 - First Pathologist appointed
1918 - Dr. Jewell appointed first Radiologist
1919 - Unit records started 1923‑Psychiatric Department added.
1925 - Dental Department added
1926 - Woodbury Building built‑named for Dr. Malcolm Woodbury
1927 - Maxwell Hall constructed as home for nurses
1932 - Department of Urology opened under Dr. W. C. Eikner
1932 - Dr. Adrian S. Taylor named Superintendent
1932 - Surgical residency training program instituted.
1934 - School of Nursing Closes following June Class graduation
1946 - Rochester Regional Hospital Council formed
1946 - Medical staff required to be Board Specialists‑ all full time
1947 - Standard Nomenclature started
1948 - Hospital approved 3 year medical residency
1950 - Community celebrates the Hospital Centennial (1850‑1950)
1951 - Tumor Registry begun
1952 - Electroenephatographic apparatus installed
1959 - Firm name changed to The Clifton Springs Hospital & Clinic
1961 - (Dec 26) The 1880 Peirce Pavilion over springs demolished
1967 - New Clifton Springs Hospital Building begun
1969 - Plans drawn up for new eleven million dollar hospital.
1972 - New Hospital Dedicated
1974 - Spa Apartments opens in the old 1896 Sanitarium building
1996 - Hospital celebrates 1000' Anniversary of the old 1896 building.
1997 - (Jan 30) Hospital celebrates 25'" Anniversary of "New" Hospital
2000 - The Foster Cottage Museum opens
2000 - C. S. Hospital opens new Emergency Wing
2000 - Hospital celebrates the 150" Anniversary of its founding.
(The Timeline from historian. Fred Gifford. Feb 15, 2000)
<<Back to Menu Page
Home l Contact l Site Map